Labrador Retrievers have rightfully earned the title of being the most popular dog breed.
These smart dogs are renowned for their patience and pleasant temperament. Though they are traditionally bred to be hunting dogs, it goes without a saying that they are also used for other popular services.
So, go ahead and make the most of their protective and loving nature as companions by giving them the necessary training.
A guide to training your Labrador Retriever
- Teach him his/her name
Don't you want your puppy to respond when he or she is called?
That's why you have to teach the puppy its name. It is better to give a dog a really short name for it is easier for them to learn. Follow these steps to get the process started -
- Be very clear while enunciating your puppy's name.
- Make sure he/she is paying full attention during this time.
- The moment they respond to the name, give them a treat or a pat on the head.
- In case he/she doesn't respond to the call the first time, be patient.
- Your Labrador Retriever needs to understand the word ‘no’
You must teach a dog the meaning of the word no.
This way they will understand what is forbidden and what isn't.
Have a complete command over this word so that no matter where you use it your dog stops doing what he/she is.
- Time for house training your puppy
When you are done teaching it the first two lessons, move on to the crucial third step i.e. house training your dog.
- Step 1: Take it outdoors after every two hours. Do this after it wakes up and has finished its meals.
- Step 2: Is your puppy moving in circles? Pick it up and take him/her outside. Once they are done, don't forget a tap on the head.
- Step 3: Never scold your puppy in case he/she has done its business inside. Instead, follow these steps patiently.
- A couple of basic commands
Next comes mastering the commands like sit and stay.
- Sit - Push the puppy on its haunches while keeping its head up. Do this with the sit command.
- Stay - Make your puppy sit down and slowly move away while saying stay. If it comes after you, say no.
No matter how difficult it seems, you have to be strict with your puppy. It is very important for the development and growth of your puppy. Happy Training!
These are some of the ways to trained your Labrador Retriever.
Tip: For some cool labrador print products, check our unique Labra collection.
Image courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/smerikal/5661790691