This article is for all those of you who are trying to decide which dog to bring home. Will it be the blue-eyed, magnificent looking husky or the ever faithful and full of energy German Shepherd? Take a look at the differences between the two to have a clear understanding.
The difference in their history
Though, both the dogs - Husky and German Shepherd belong from working breed there still lies quite a lot of differences between the two when it comes to background.
- As the name suggests they belong from Germany and were bred as a herding dog.
- German Shepherds have undergone 35 years of refinement to look the way it does today.
- They are excellent when it comes to performing several tasks and work as -
- Military dog
- Police dog
- Search and rescue dog
- Service dog
These are some of the many professions they excel at.
They come from Siberia
- Huskies are renowned for being an all-rounder.
- They were originally bred to carry load in frigid temperature and long distances.
- Huskies have saved endless lives in Alaska and None after the diphtheria epidemic in the year 1925.
The difference in appearance
No one can deny the fact that both the dogs are extremely attractive. Their distinct appearance sets them apart.
- A German Shepherd grows 22 - 26 inches tall and weighs between 50 - 90 pounds which make it a bigger dog. The Siberian Husky is 20 - 23.5 inches tall and weighs around 35 - 50 pounds.
- Their coats are remarkably similar. Both the coasts are double layered and weather resistant. German Shepherds and Huskies shed a lot during the shedding season.
- German Shepherds have a muscular and lean build, erect ears, and keen eyes. Huskies, on the other hand, have a compact and more proportionate shaped structure. They possess long tails, expressive eyes(brown, blue, or one each), and erect ears.
The difference in color
German Shepherds come in six different colors -
- Black and Red
- Tan and Black
- Silver and Black
The coat of a Siberian Husky comes in 13 different colors -
- Black and White
- Tan and Black
They are excellent dogs who love to be around kids and other pets. No matter which one you choose you'll end up with an incredibly intelligent, handsome, and loving companion.
Tip: For some cool German Shepherd print products, check our unique German Shepherd collection.
Image courtesy: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4037541