Both the dog breeds regardless of the several distinctive differences in origin, personality, traits, appearance, and so on make wonderful pets. However, if you are trying to choose one that is better suited for your home and lifestyle then the long list of comparison is bound to help you decide.
The difference in their origin and history
Let's start from the beginning and know all about their history.
- They came into existence in the year 1882.
- German Shepherds were created by cross-breeding rural sheep dogs.
- They are originally from Germany.
- They are from the United Kingdom
- Beagles have been reported to exist since the 5th Century BC.
The difference in description
There is a whole lot of difference when it comes to the appearance of the dogs.
- German Shepherds are 21 to 25 inches in height when fully grown whereas Beagles grow up to 14 - 17 inches tall.
- A fully-grown German Shepherd can weigh up to 74 - 98 pounds. On the other hand, beagles come under the small sized dog breed category and weigh up to 19 - 23 pounds.
- A German Shepherd can come in only four shades i.e. black and white, bicolor, sable, black and tan. Beagles can be anywhere between orange to a blend of white and red.
- German Shepherds have a thick and dense two-layer coat. They shed a lot. Beagles have water-repellent, dense, and short coats.
More about German Shepherds
German Shepherds regardless of being a new breed is extremely popular and for good enough reasons -
- They are the best watchdogs.
- Training German Shepherds is very easy, and they can perform a variety of tasks.
- Extremely active and intelligent.
- They always keep themselves busy and don't shy away from physical activities.
- From working with the military and police to assisting physically challenged individuals they have proved themselves very useful.
Did you know these about Beagles?
There is so much to know about these incredibly cute and adorable dogs. Let's take a look -
- They are fun loving, happy, and small dogs.
- Training them can be tricky.
- Beagles are very friendly with their owners, neighbors, and other animals.
- They have as many as 220 million scent receptors and are therefore used in airports.
- Beagles love to wander around that is why you need to be extra careful with them.
Make an informed decision before adopting a furry companion.
Tip: For some cool German Shepherd print products, check our unique German Shepherd collection.
Image courtesy: https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%AE%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%8D:Berger_allemand_en_montagne.jpg